Fresh Cabbage Salsa That Will Be A Crowd Pleaser!
Cabbage - a very undervalued vegetable
Cabbage has a high amount of the most powerful antioxidants found in cruciferous vegetables and phytonutrients which stimulate detoxifying enzymes. High in fiber, it also provides 54 percent daily value of vitamin C in one serving of cabbage – that's more than oranges y'all! If that's not good enough, its also a good source of vitamin K (85% DV). We need to work harder towards making this part of our lives, a bit more.
Cabbage is a staple vegetable that I grew up on, my mom used to stir fry it with green peas and it was so good. You could also just steam it and mix it with some fresh ground mustard and black pepper with some fresh grated coconut. Now obviously all that didn't happen this head as it was still sitting my fridge looking at me with great expectations. And lucky for us both, I did fulfill them :)
It was the weekend before school started, and a good friend of mine, was hosting a pool party. Now it's already crazy before school getting ready with backpacks, lunches, snacks, and just getting back into the routine. So really hadn't planned for anything to take. Except .. I had a whole head of cabbage!
I had some onions, cilantro and the spices I needed - some sour, some sweet, and I just decided to throw it all together. One crucial thing for dips or salsas like this is they have gotta gotta gotta gotta sit for at least 1-2 hours. Or else, the marriage just doesn't work!
- Finely chopped small head of cabbage - I usually pulse it in the food processor
- 1/4 cups of finely chopped red onion
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- Handful of finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- A pinch of fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp of fresh ground cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper fresh ground if possible
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder OR cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh cut mango pieces
- Layer them as shown in the picture and mix well - all ingredients except the mango.
- Add mango pieces right before serving
- Serve with either corn chips or fresh pita bread or layer it on a salad or on top of a taco
A lot of people at my friend's party were asking for the recipe, and I promised to share it. Enjoy!