Who doesn't like a delicious tequila sunrise?!
Persimmons are in season, baby!
I wait a WHOLE year for this fruit, I am not kidding. The only bummer is I didn't even know they existed until we moved to CA about 7 years ago. The farmers markets there are ginormous and of course, these beautiful orange looking things had me at the first bite!
They come in 3 varieties, and I like the fuyu and hachiya, the most. For this cocktail, you must use hachiya due to the viscous nature and the soft pulpy texture. For hachiya persimmons, one has to wait until its overtly ripe and then consume it unlike fuyu which has more of a crisp apple texture.
As you know, we are all about getting smarter in the kitchen, so I thought why not use a sweet pulpy fruit instead of grenadine. This is most prized cocktail ever!
- In a ninja or bullet or using a hand blender, blend one ripe persimmon pulp (don't add the skin, the skin usually just falls of a ripe persimmon).
- To a cocktail shaker, add:
- add 1/2 ounce fresh lemon
- Add 2 ounces orange liquor
- 1 ounce no pulp orange juice
- 1.5 ounces tequila (any good premium tequila)
- Shake it over ice.
- Layer a margarita glass with first the pulp, then the martini from the shaker.
- Pour it carefully from the sides into the margarita glass from the sides, NOT directly on top.
- You don't want to mix the contents.
- Garnish with lemon or orange.
- Drink away!
The best part you guys is you are eating fruit and getting happy ;) Oh, and NO ADDED SUGARS. Amen to that, right?:)